Dear VA-NGO Network Members & Friends,
It is with deep sorrow that the board of VA NGO Network announces the passing away of James Do Ba Phuoc, one of our leading lights. Anh Phuoc was a pioneer in many fields and bravely blazed new trails:
- In humanitarian work in Vietnam after 1975 by bringing IT boot camps to train Vietnam youth into a skilled workforce for economic development of the country,
- As founding member of VN-Help, Pacific Links Foundation, VA-NGO Network and of the Nom Foundation.
In keeping with the family tradition of cultural contribution, he spearheaded the digital translation of Nom characters, the ancient Vietnam writing, into unicode and was one of the founders of the NOM Foundation, publishing a Nom dictionary on the internet.
His lifelong passion led him to continue the cultural endeavors while fully engaged with IT development in Vietnam.
I will always remember anh Phuoc as a gentle man with a dry sense of humor, but a determination of iron. His support allowed chi Kim-Anh Tran, his lifelong partner, to lead the longterm Capacity-Building Workshops to enhance Early Childhood Development Program for the VA-NGO Network and promote life-saving skills in Pediatric First Aid for caregivers. He was at all time the wind beneath her wings.
His sudden death was a tragic shock for us all, a small network of professionals working closely in humanitarian assistance, and a reminder of lost opportunities in enjoying family and friends as a priority.
- To anh Phuoc: we thank you for leading the way in contributing professional talents wherever life places us, you will be remembered as a guding beacon of selfless dedication.
- To chi Anh: we pledge to stand by for you and continue the work that both of you started together.
- To Minh: your father inspired us all, please consider us as family-at-large.
Cathy Lam flew to Vietnam to represent the US non-profit partners he has worked with, and to give support to the grieving family. Farewell anh Phuoc, until we meet again…
With sadness in our hearts, and hope in anh Phuoc’s everlasting spirits,
Quynh Kieu, MD
VA NGO Network Chairperson